How To Correct Mistakes Made At The Time Of Paying Income Tax?

How To Correct Mistakes Made At The Time Of Paying Income Tax? – LegalAdviceOnline

How To Correct Mistakes Made At The Time Of Paying Income Tax?

When you are paying self-assessment or advance tax, make sure that you have selected the right year and the right type of taxes to pay.

If you take the wrong option, there will be a mistake in what was paid and what is shown on your Form 26AS for that year. This means that you won’t get any credit for taxes at the time when you are filing your income tax return.

Here is how people pay their taxes and how to fix mistakes.

How To Pay Tax And What The Common Mistakes Taxpayer Make?

You have two ways to pay your taxes. One is to go online on the National Securities Database website and the other is to visit your bank branch.

It is important to know the assessment year when it comes to making a tax payment. The assessment year is the year following the financial year for which a person files their ITR.

The assessment year is when you will pay taxes. For example, in 2020-21 the assessment year is 2021-22. The tax payment you make now for 2020-21 will be called self-assessment tax. When you make a payment, select AY 2021-22 at that time. If you are making an advance payment for the current fiscal year (2020-21), then choose AY 2022-23 as that is what your on going financial year (2021-$22) will be filed next year, which is the current tax period for which ITR will be filed next year.

How To Correct A Mistake?

If you have made a mistake when paying taxes, then the best way to fix it is to go to the person in charge of your taxes. If that is not possible, then it might be helpful to email them about what you need fixed. The website for this has just been created and they are working on making sure that there are good ways for us taxpayers.

The details about the ‘Challan Correction’ service are in the help section of our new income tax portal.

How To Find Out Details Of Your Assessing Officer?

If you make a mistake in your tax challan details, the person who is responsible for this can change them. You can find out who this person is by going to the new income tax portal and following these steps:

1) Click on “Income Tax”.

2) Click on “Income Tax e-filing”   

3) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Know Your Assessing Officer”

4) A new website will come up on your computer screen. Type in your PAN number and mobile number. Click on Continue.

5) A one-time password will be sent to your phone that is only valid for 15 minutes. Enter this code and press “Validate.”

When you’re doing your taxes, the screen will show the officer in charge of your taxes. You can either send an email or visit in person to fix any mistakes in your taxes.


What Happens If You Make Mistake On Taxes?

If you made a mistake on your tax return, you have to tell the IRS. To tell them about your mistake, you would need to file an amended return. If you do not fix the mistake, then they may charge penalties and interest. You can either fill out the amended return yourself or have someone help you with it.

How Can We Correct The Wrong Assessment Year In Income Tax Challan?

If you want to correct a mistake with your bank, you need to apply for correction within 7 days of the date that the deposit was made. You can send a challan correction application form to your bank.

How Do I Fix A Mistake On My Tax Return?

If you want to change something after the original tax return has been filed, you will need to file an amended 1040 X form. You should enter what was wrong on your original return and explain why you are changing it. It does not have to be the whole form, just the part that is wrong.

Can You Edit Your Tax Return After Filing?

If you need to change something on a return that you have already filed, you can file an amended return. Use Form 1040-X and follow the instructions.

How Do I Resubmit My Tax Return?

If you make a mistake on your tax return, you need to file Form 1040X. It is an amended form that can be found on the internet at Mail the form to the address listed in the instructions.

Also Read


I hope you have liked our post which is related to the How To Correct Mistakes Made At The Time Of Paying Income Tax? and related topic to it, if you have any doubts related to it then comment below to let us know.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *